Together a voice, a future
St Catherine's vision is that all children and young people with speech, language and communication needs will fulfil their potential in life.
We aim to support children and young people with speech, language and communication needs and their families. Our residential centre on the Isle of Wight encompasses a specialist school and further education centre, excellent residential and care facilities and The Work Station, a comprehensive vocational training project. Places at St Catherine's can be funded by your local authority or privately.
What makes St Catherine's unique?
- Intensive levels of speech and language therapy and occupational therapy are integral to each young person's education and care programme.
- We focus not only on academic success but also on the development of each student as a whole person focusing on their strengths.
- We support each student with their emotional development, helping them with relationship management and developing emotional resilence.
- Our Island location supports the development of students in a number of ways; we offer a range of activities that are in easy reach of our site; we are actively involved in the local community; the Isle of Wight provides a 'real life' setting for practising essential life skills such as independent travel.
- We have a dedicated nurse within St Catherine's and our medical officer is a local GP.
- From age 14 we offer a range of work-related experiences including accredited courses at our dedicated vocational training unit, work experience and taster courses at the Isle of Wight College to prepare our students for life beyond special school.
- We support young people and their families with the student's transition from special school so that they can move successfully into the next stage of their life.
We hope you find this website informative and inspiring. We look forward to welcoming you to St Catherine's.